Friday, November 12, 2010

Rosoe's Birth Story

I am writing this almost three years after Roscoe was born so I am not sure how many details I will be able to remember or how accurate the rendition will be but here goes:
With Roscoe I was induced. At 38 weeks I was dialated to 5 and 80% effaced and still had not had one contraction. Plus, the Dr did an ultrasound that said he was going to be a big baby. So in the wee hours of the morning on February 21, 2008 Rich and I went to the hospital to have our second baby. It was funny, because a friend from church was being induced at the same time, by the same Dr.
The Dr came in and broke my water, but not much happened. I was only having a few contractions and they were not strong. So she came back to start the pitocin. I was a smart girl and asked for the Dr to order the epidural before she left and the contractions got bad. Smartest thing I ever did. The put in the epidural before things got painful, so I did not feel much of anything this delivery.
Like with Roxy, Roscoe's heart rate was not steady so the nurse actually put a tube in my cervix to put saline in my uterus to let Roscoe float to keep the pressure off of the umbilical cord. But his delivery was pretty uneventful. AND QUICK.
I got to the hospital at about 7 and when the nurse checked me at about 11:30 I was at a ten. It happened a little too quick for Rich because when they said that I was ready to push, he had to excuse his himself because he got light headed. It all happened to fast for him. When he came back he was good to go.
I pushed for about half an hour, but it was funny because I faked some of my pushes. I COULD NOT FEEL ANYTHING. When the I had contraction I could not feel one bit of it, so I never felt any need or desire to push. So when she told me to push, sometimes I would just make the face and not really push. At one point I asked for the mirror in the room. They had one of those mirrors that lets you watch the delivery. Let me tell you that was a mistake. Child birth is disgusting. I told the Dr that and to take the mirror away. She told me that it was not disgusting and it was beautiful. I told her she was wrong. When he finally came out, he was the only one of my babies that they put straight onto my chest and I got to hold when they were all squishy and gross. I remember being surprised that he smelled bad. No one had told me to expect that. It was a really special moment to have him skin to skin with me right away. He was 8 lbs even and 20 inches long and looked just like Rich and Roxy.

No comments: