Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Home Owners Beware

So as you get older and get your first real job and get married and have kids you dream of owning your first home.  Well ladies and gents it is not all that its cracked up to be.   Rich and I bought our first home almost two years ago and love it.  We also got a home warranty for the first twelve months that we were there.  But that is the thing with warranties right, you have just long enough that as soon as they expire is when things go wrong.  Like car warranties.  Your car should not break down the first few years you own it, right.  But good luck finding a warranty for the miles between 50,000-150,000.  So in the past year (since the warranty expired) we have had to replace our air conditioner (7,000), replace our fridge (700), rewire two light sockets (father in law did that one), fix a toilet that I am still not sure what was wrong with it (father in law did that one two), replace the faucets in the guest bathroom because they were leaking (My handy husband did that one) and now we had to fix the hot water heater.  Where are the good old days of landlords who had to fix everything for me and it did not cost me a dime.  Sometimes I wish we weren't responsible adults with a mortgage and building equity (still not quite sure what that is).  I miss my carefree days of not worrying about insurance, bills, and property taxes.  

2 comments:

Jessica Zimmerman said...

I hear ya! We've been experiencing the same kind of thing with our home we purchased a little over a year ago.

Meredith said...

Yeah, I miss those carefree days when I could skip work to go to the Jelly Belly factory with my friends.