Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Babies everywhere

So in the past couple weeks it seems that everyone around me is pregnant.  My friends Adrian from high school is pregnant with her first.  My friends Kelsey and Lacie from Church back home are pregnant.  My two best friends, Jamie and Shannon, from college are pregnant with their firsts.   My friends Codee from ARC Inst is preggs with her second. My little sister Mary is pregnant with her first.  Two of my friends from here, Chiara and Emily, are about to pop any day now.  I know that when I was preggers I got pretty sick of all the advice, tips, stories, tidbits, predictions and helpful hints.  So I have been pretty good about not offering up unless asked.  Well Since you asked here are things that surprised me about pregnancy and motherhood. 
1.  Farting in public is still gross even when you are pregnant.
2.  When they lay the baby on your chest as soon as he is born, he really stinks.
3.  Your hair falls out at about 3 months after the baby is born.
4.  You can use being pregnant as an excuse for anything: spending money, eating too much, eating crap, not excercising, not getting things done at work. you name it.
5.  Write everything down, because you can't remember anything.
6.  Take hand me downs, even if you don't use them it makes the person who gave them to you feel helpful.
7.  while pregnant: Sleep now or forever hold your zzzzzz'z, at least the first several months
8.  Shopping for girls is way more fun than shopping for boys.
9.  castor oil, sex, spicy food, exercise, pressure points.  None of it works to make you go into labor.  
10.  For months after the delivery sometimes you just pee a little and can't help it.
11.  You don't really get that "moment" when it is all worth it and you instantly fall in love with this tiny little baby.  Most women i know had that moment weeks later.  You are not a  bad mom
12. you will get that moment.  And it will just about make 1-11 totally worth it.

8 comments:

Jaye said...

Also the crazy prego hormones don't go away for like 6mo.

Jamie said...

Those are all good to know!! Especially that "moment" one because I'm totally expecting it and I just know I'll feel awful if I don't experience it! Thanks and feel free to offer up advice anytime! Love you!

Meredith said...

You're very wise. And very blunt. Thanks for saying things others of us aren't brave enough to say.

Mrs. C. Yeates said...

As one of the girls about to pop I completely agreee. You also forgot labor is nothing like the movies and t.v. and it hurts like hell!

the jensens said...

ok so you forgot that your boobs get even bigger and leak everywhere
and you cry for the first week without any rhym or reason.

ash and jay said...

thanks for the reminder of the joys of being pregnant......to add to your list, i am expecting as well. I'll post more info on my blog sometime!

THE BELLS said...

that is helpful advice thanks for the tips...all true by the way.

I am so jealous of your sun, seeing as it is snowing here:(

The Jensens said...

You are so funny, I love it! Thanks for the advice. I especially like the "excuse" for things. I will definately be using that one with shopping! Although, Tommy just says "it's the size of a softball, it can't be that bad." He needs to have a talk with you!