Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike

















So Rich, Roxy, Roscoe and I have survived our first hurricane.  It has been one of the most trying times of our whole marriage.   So let me take you through this day by day.  Oh, I don't know how to put pics in order so they are very random.  Sorry
Wednesday:
We are still not convinced that the hurricane is going to hit us.  we go to sleep saying we are staying and I really think that it will wind up turning like every other hurricane in the past two years has.  We pack anyways just incase.  I also go to Wal Mart for supplies to get us through the weekend.  As I am there I can feel the sense of urgency, and wind up buying water and supplies and spending almost $200. 
Thursday morning:
As Rich is leaving for work I tell him that I am leaning towards staying because it is still only a cat 2.
Thursday midmorning:
Call Rich panicked because we are now in the mandatory evac zone and if we stay we will be on our own according to the city of houston.  I start to get pretty panicked watching the news and seeing how huge this storm is that is coming right for my home.  I keep calling Rich to see if her can leave early so that we can leave.  He does wind up getting of a little early and we take off pretty much as soon as he gets home.  Incidentally leaving the door to our shed open and a kindly neighbor closes the door for us.
We leave and drive to my uncle Erics who lives outside of Austin and stay with for the weekend.
Friday and Saturday:
My uncles house is not really for kids and Roxy and Roscoe have a hard time being there.  his house is like an art gallery.  Rich and I have a hard time being there because he does nor have internet, TV or a phone.  We were really blessed to have some where to go though.  I really enjoyed being there with my uncle.
Sunday:
We get and drive home.  the drive is pretty good.  We do see some damage and flooding.  Places worse than others and we begin to get really anxious about what could have happened to our house. 
Rich and I have a HUGE tree in our front yard, biggest on the block.  As we turn onto our street we cant see our tree.  The entire top of the tree is all over our yard and also on our roof.  There is BIG piece right over our bedroom and we panic that it went through.  Luckily it did not and all the damage done to our house is the tree is down.  OH, but we have no power.  we get the kids settled in and I decide that it is too hot to stay without power, but there is no where to stay, ALL OF HOUSTON has no power.  we start to clean up the yard and realize that there is no way we are getting it done tonight and we are going to jsut have to wait until tomorrow to tackle the job.
Monday and Tueday:
We now have to tackle the job.   We just start hauling.  The city sends someone to pick up all hte debris, but we have to get in piles and off the lawn so that it doesn't kill the yard.  It could be weeks before they start picking up the debris.  Rich and I just work our tales off.  There is a picture of me climbing in one of the trees trying to saw off the branches that snapped, but did not break.  Rich is afraid of heights.  I am really proud of my family for how well we all worked together and how great the kids are.  We pretty much spend the mornings cleaning up the front and back yards.  The neighbors tree fell in our backyard.  Oh we still have no power and have not heard from anyone because my phone is dead.  
So Tuesday we start driving to people we know and see how they faired.  We went to my friend Babbi's and pretty much spend the afternoons with her because she has power, a daughter Roxy's age, and she is one of my best friends.  Oh for dinner we heat up spaghettios on the grill.  Breakfast was poptarts on the grill.
Monday night was the best.  We had the most fun playing with the kids in the dark in our room playing with flashlights.  Rich put on a magic show, Roxy was the spotlight, I sang a song.
Wednesday:
Babbi got her internet back so I am back to finally check email, blog, and myspace.  Babbi and I go to the store and it is insane how bare the produce, dairy, and  frozen dept are.  I can't find any milk, just buttermilk.  There are no eggs.  There is no butter.  I get what we can but we are sure sick of non perishable food.  We still have no power.    
Thursday:
While at Babbi' check a website that says when power will be on in certain areas, the list for mine is not until AFTER next monday.   Now I am really starting to get stressed about not working, dealing with warming food and baby formula on the grill.  My friend Adam calls out of the blue, have not talked to the guy in two years, after I get home to no power and i have my first break down.  After I am done crying I have to check on Roscoe because he is crying (don't notice that the lights are on) and I hear the phone ring!!!!!  We have power ladies and gentlemen.  Roscoe gets up and I can make his bottle inside in a matter of seconds.  It was the most beautiful bottle to ever be made.  Which brings us to now.  
NOW:
We are good,  We are blessed and we are happy.  We are so proud that we have made it through this safe happy and still married.  I am proud of the church that we belong to so that we could help all the members who needed help and then jsut anyone who needed it.  We thank all who called and prayed for us.  We are home with power and my fingers are tired, so please feel free to call.  We would love to hear from you.
OH check out our  youtube.com/hammfamily

10 comments:

dixiefrog said...

I'm so thankful that you and your adorable family are okay. Your photos are fabulous. Thanks for sharing them!

THE BELLS said...

you poor thing...those are some trying times. Glad to hear you are OK. IKe= no fun

Unknown said...

Good good good......

vaZ' said...

cool blog! swing by mine.. greatings from portugal..

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Wow, that was an awesome story! I read it to Matthew while he's cleaning up stuff in our room. Glad you guys made it through alright. My brother was far enough north that not a whole lot happened to his house.

Cristina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. C. Yeates said...

What an experience. glad ya'll have faired well and have power. I love electricity.

Chiara

Cristina said...

Glad you guys are safe and made it home ok. Liked the pic of you in the tree, you are a brave one.

sarah tangataevaha said...

It's good to hear from you!! I'm glad your family is ok. That must have been so scary and stressful. Your children are so cute.

Adams Family said...

Look at you go Rach! I won't tell you what my husband had to say when I told him that you had to go up into the tree! Needless to say we were both very impressed by your climbing and cutting skills! I'm so glad you have power back!