Sunday, May 10, 2009

Brace yourself

When I was 20 I lost a bit of weight through diet and exercise recommended by my doctor because of Acid reflux.  I later had surgery because of the said reflux.  The surgery that the did acted almost like I had my stomach stapled.  I began losing weight like crazy and I joined a gym and started eating great and lost 65 lbs in 5 months. I was at my lowest weight ever at 149 lbs.  It was awesome.  I had never been thin before and I loved it.  I was active and happy and I met Rich and was going to the gym everyday and running.  I was even running up to 10 miles. My weight would vary as every woman does.  And I had gained a little when I married settling in at about 160 Lb. THEN I GOT PREGNANT.  
I had kept off the weight for 6 years and thought that there was no way that I was going to gain it back when I got pregnant.  I was dead wrong.  I gained 70lbs when I was pregnant with Roxanne.  I would gain 5 lbs in a week.  I topped out at 230 Lbs.  I weighed more than my husband.  WHAT.  After I had Roxy I made attempts at losing weight, joining weight watchers, but could never find time to go to the gym.  I got down to about 185,  when I got pregnant with Roscoe.
I did not gain as much weight with Roscoe, but I started off much higher than with Roxy and topped out at about 220.  I am now down to 195 as of last Monday.  
Now you may be wondering, what in the world is Rachel doing telling the free world her weight.  I can not lose this weight by myself.  I have been trying since Roscoe was born to lose weight and have consistently stayed between 193-197, no matter what i do or eat or how far I run, or how many hours I log into spinning class, this weight is not going any where.  I friend from my ward started blogging about her weight and says that it really helped her to lose weight.  Nobody wants to talk about their weight but you know what, it is just not me to not be very blunt.  Plus I hope that it will give me the extrinsic motivation to post when I have lost weight.
I think that is part of the problem, no knows when I gain or lose, now everyone will.  How embarrassing I know, but only people who love and care about me read this blog.  So please be nice, send advice, encouragement, good recipe, work out tips EVERYTHING.  I appreciate your support and hope that you don't send people links to my blog to see my weight, but who cares.  I need to lose this weight.
My goal is to be down to 175 by the time I go on vacation this summer to Disneyland.  That means I have 10 weeks to lose about 20 lbs. Impossible?  No way. not when I have all of you to now support me and send me tips.  I will keep you posted on my progress.

9 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

I can't really give you any suggestions other than eat less, move more, but you seem to be doing that...so I don't know. But I can support you and say, GO RACHEL...I'll be waiting to hear results. :)

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Oh, I did think of one thing...one simple (and free) way that a lot of people hate, but works (so I hear), is to write down what you're eating...everything, and how much...after a while you start to think to yourself, "Do I want to write this down, or just not eat it?"

Eppie said...

You go Rachel. I am with you 100%. I have finally lost some weight, due to health issues and now need to lose some more. Let's encourage each other.

Jamie said...

You can totally do it, Rach! I will be right there with you in a few months! I was bigger than I've ever been when I got pregnant and I'm trying to keep it under control, but it's hard. If anyone can do this, you can. You are so strong and were such an inspiration for me when I was losing weight for my wedding! I will continue to be inspired by you when I have to lose baby weight, too - I'm sure. Whatever you find works, pass it on to me!

Coach Hamm said...

The slower you eat is really good too. That helps me I know. Sometimes I work an easy crossword and I have to put my fork down to write the answer so it takes me longer to eat. And another thing is to not have a bowl of anything on the table! Put a helping on your plate and then stick the rest in the fridge so it is not available! I have no willpower once I start eating!! None!!

Meredith said...

You're brave, girl. I know you can do it. Have you ever tried Body-for-Life? It is a great plan. Six smaller meals a day, each with a portion of protein and a portion of carbs. Weight training and cardio together on alternating days work your whole body. You could google it if you're interested.

the jensens said...

Rachel, did it all start to go downhill when you were diagnosed with acne in your youth... I have heard that you can lose weight by eating less and based on the same theory you can save money by spending less.
awesome
-ben

!!!!!!!!!! GO RE RE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ash and jay said...

good luck, Rach! I love this idea of journaling this in your blog. So many people can relate to you....you are an inspiration!!

As for me, yeah, I'm on the 50 lb. weight gain plan apparently....I have 2 mos. till our son is born and then I'll be trying to lose a TON of weight! check out this website....

fitday.com

THE BELLS said...

Rach, oh man do I feel you. I gained 65 with jamison and was up to 215.(Prob. more but I couldn't handle weighing myself any more.) It took me about 2-3 years to get it off and I really only think because I had to be on hormone theropy to get prego again. I am so worried with this prgnancy that the same thing will happen. Like, totally stressed. It is good to hear I am not alone. I LOVE spinning and wish I was there to do it with you. My suggestion is calorie counting. It sucks but I think it is the only thing that works.I can never diet because i can't deprive myself of any thing. So, if you count calories just have a little and you are satisfied. And also...NO fast food. Good luck I will be pulling for you!!!